Download This Lesson: Broccoli
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of broccoli and locate where it is grown on a Maine map. They will be able to explain what part of a plant broccoli is and its nutritional benefits. Also students will be able to observe and predict changes due to cooking and record these in a table.|
- Increase their familiarity with broccoli.
- Eat broccoli when it is offered to them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Increase their understanding of nutrition
Students will be able to…
- Explain what part of a plant broccoli is
- Explain the origin of broccoli and find it on a world map
- Identify the season for optimal growth
- Identify where broccoli is grown in Maine
- Explain the nutritional benefits of broccoli
- Predict and observe changes due to cooking
- Record changes in table
- Participate in composting activities
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce broccoli
- Background information on broccoli
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook broccoli-cheese soup (Form groups of 4 to 6 students)
- Do compost activity (see compost lesson for mini-lessons)
- Distribute copies of recipes and challenge sheets to students
Other Broccoli Activities
Nutrition science lesson: What happens to broccoli when we cook it?
Global and regional mapping
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)