Download This Lesson: Cranberries
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of cranberries and locate where they are grown in the United States and on a Maine map. They will be able to explain how cranberries are grown from planting through harvesting. Students will also be able to practice letter writing along with table and graph construction.
- Increase their familiarity with cranberries.
- Eat cranberries when offered them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Explain how cranberries are grown from planting through harvesting.
- Describe the environmental needs of cranberries (climate, soil, etc.).
- Describe how cranberries grow without human intervention
- Find the origin of cranberries on a map
- Explain where cranberries are grown and harvested in Maine
- Write a letter using the appropriate format or a narrative with appropriate punctuation and capitalization.
- Enter information into a table and construct a bar graph.
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce cranberries
- Background information on cranberries
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook cranberry-pear crisp (Form groups of 4 to 6 students)
- Do compost activity while food is cooking (See compost lesson for mini-lessons)
- Distribute copies of recipes and challenge sheets to students
Other Cranberry Activities
Nutrition science lesson, Student activity sheet, Writing ideas, Word search, Cranberry challenge sheet, Additional recipe, Fact sheet, Global and regional mapping
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)