Download This Lesson: Apples
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of apples growing in the United States and locate orchards on a Maine map. They will increase their awareness of the environment and nutrition by writing a public service announcement for elementary students about the health benefits of apples. Students also will participate in math strategies and composting activities involving apples.
- Increase their familiarity with apples.
- Eat apples when offered them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Increase their understanding of nutrition
- Identify the number one apple producing state
- Explain the origin of apple growing in the U.S
- Locate orchards on a Maine map
- Write a public service announcement (PSA) for elementary students to eat apples for snacks instead of sugary foods
- Increase servings of a recipe using math strategies
- Participate in composting activities.
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce apples
- Background information on apples
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook apple crisp (Form groups of 4-6 students)
- Do compost activity while food is cooking (See compost lesson for mini-lessons)
- Distribute copies of recipes and challenge sheets to students
Other Apples Activities
Nutrition science lesson
Types of apples
Global and regional mapping
Apple fact sheet
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)