Download This Full Lesson: Growing Aspirations – Sweet!
Lesson Description: This lesson’s focus is on large concepts such as Habits of Minds, Food Systems of Maine, and Agribusiness. The unit may include lessons on other aspects of the standard such as positive self- concept, and the personal interests and skills lessons.
- be able to define a variety words often used to characterize of Habits of Mind (see handout) and/or Habits of work. (If using Habits of Work, you will need to make )
- identify Habits of Mind or Habits of work needed for agribusiness.
- determine why it is important to have a positive self-conceptwhen making career and life choices. (see definition below)
- become familiar with Food Systems of Maine
Definition of Food System: a well-functioning system in which policy, research, production, processing, commerce, nutrition, and food security and safety are integral and interrelated.
Student will view at least two University of Maine Cooperative Extension Growing Maine videos
- Maine Maple; Jillson’s Family Farm or Treworgy Family Orchards
- Identify Habits of Mind – See Handout or the rubric according to your
- Students will deduce the importance of Habits of Mind in having a successful agribusiness. Definition of Agribusiness is included in the vocabulary
- Students will engage in conversation about the importance of having Habits of Mind and a positive self-concept (see vocabulary list below) when making choices about career and other life
- Teacher will give examples of Food Systems in Maine (see vocabulary list below) and map of Maine food
- How are Habits of Mind important in an ever changing agribusiness?
- How can being aware of your personal interests and skills, possessing Habits of Mind and having a positive self-concept help a person make (better) career and life choices?
- What skills do you have to contribute to the Food System in Maine? What pathways might a person take to a career to a food system in
- About the Maine Food System
- Career Clusters
- Habits of Mind POST Test
- Habits of Mind Pre-Test
- Habits of Mind
- Quick Write Pre Test
|Maine Guiding Principles:||B. Self Directed and Lifelong Learner
D. Responsible and Involved Citizen
|Maine Learning Results:||Career and Education Development
A. Learning about self knowledge and interpersonal relationships
A.1 Student reflect on and/or analyze interests, skills, habits of work , and experiences to
maintain a positive self-concept and to aid them in making career and life decisions.
|Family and Consumer Sciences National Standards:||1.0 Career, Family, and Community Integrate multiple life roles and responsibilities in family,
work, and community settings.
1.2 Demonstrate transferable knowledge, attitudes, and employability skills in school,
community and workplace settings.
8.0 Food Production and Services: Integrate knowledge, skills, and practices required for careers
in food production and services.
8.1 Analyze career paths within the food production and food service industries.