Download This Lesson: Oat
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of oats and locate where they are grown on a Maine map. They will be able to identify what part of the plant oats are from and their climate requirements. Students will also use writing techniques to write about nutrition and the importance of oats.
- Increase their familiarity with oats.
- Eat oats when offered them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Increase their understanding of nutrition.
Students will be able to…
- Explain what part of a plant an oat is
- Explain the origin of oats
- Explain climate requirements for growing oats
- Identify where oats are grown in Maine
- Explain how diet affects health
- Write a paragraph about the importance of oats
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce oats
- Background information on oats
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook granola (Form groups of 4 to 6 students)
- Do compost activity while food is cooking (See compost lesson for mini-lessons)
- Distribute copies of recipes and challenge sheets to students
Other Compost Activities
Nutrition science lesson, Oats Student Activity Sheet, Global and regional mapping, Writing ideas, Oat fact sheet, Additional recipes
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)