Download This Full Lesson: Oysters for ME
Lesson Description: After reading Aquaculture for ME, students will work in small groups and determine what they need to know about the life of an oyster, what an oyster needs to survive and will research needed information. Students will measure and group oysters and solve word problems. Students will work in groups to design the packaging that must meet certain criteria and present their product to the class. Packaging will be designed for selling oysters in both grocery stores and on line.
The student will:
- Identify elements of successful teamwork
- Identify what they know about oysters
- Identify what they need to know about oysters
- Using technology, research information about the survival needs and growth pattern of oysters
- Add mixed numbers with like denominators
- Multiply fractions by whole numbers
- Solve a problem by designing a product
|Common Core Math:||4.NF.B.3.C
Add and subtract mixed numbers with like denominators, e.g.by replacing each mixed number with an equivalent fraction and /or by using properties of operations and the relationship between addition and subtraction4.NE.B.4.C
Solve word problems involving multiplication of a fraction by a whole number, e.g., by using visual fraction models and equations to represent the problem.
Construct an argument that plants and animals have internal and external structures that function to support survival, growth, behavior, and reproduction.
Career & Educational Development 3-5
a. Getting along with others