Download This Lesson: Potato
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of potatoes and locate where they are grown on a Maine map. They will be able to identify the parts of a potato plant and write directions for planting and optimal growth. Students will also write stories about Mr. Potato for younger students and participate in composting activities.
- Increase their familiarity with potatoes.
- Eat potatoes when offered them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Increase their understanding of nutrition.
Students will be able to…
- Explain what part of a plant potato is
- Explain the origin of the potato and find it on a world map
- Identify the season for optimal growth
- Identify where potatoes are grown in Maine
- Write directions for planting potatoes
- Write a story for the first grade about Mr. Potato. Include at least 3 potato facts.
- Participate in composting activities.
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce potatoes
- Background information on potatoes
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook potato planks (Form groups of 4 to 6 students)
- Do compost activity while food is cooking (See compost activity for mini lesson)
- Distribute copies of recipes and challenge sheets to students
Other Potato Activities
Nutrition science lesson: Types of Potatoes, Forms of Potatoes, and Discoloration of Raw Potatoes
Global and regional mapping
Potato fact sheet
Parts of Potato Plant handout
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)