Download This Lesson: Strawberry
Brief Description: Students will be able to explain the history of strawberries and how they are grown. They will be able to identify parts of the strawberry plant and explain the health benefits and nutrients found in strawberries. Students will also be able to cook and design a healthy meal using strawberries.
- Increase their familiarity with strawberries.
- Eat strawberries when offered them.
- Increase their awareness of the environmental benefits of composting.
- Increase their understanding of nutrition.
- Explain how strawberries are grown
- Identify parts of the strawberry plant
- List the 3 nutrients found in strawberries
- Explain 2 health benefits of high fiber foods
- Design a healthy meal that includes strawberries
- Write a paragraph describing how to grow strawberries
- Review points about safety, sanitation, and cooperation
- Introduce strawberries
- Background information on strawberries
- Lessons from the Farm
- Cook winter strawberry muffins (Form groups of 4 to 6 students)
- Do compost activity while food is cooking (See compost lesson for mini-lesson)
- Wrap-up, distribute copies of recipe and challenge sheets to students
Other Strawberry Activities
Nutrition Science Lesson: Fruits & Veggies-More Matters
Global and Regional Mapping
Strawberry Fact Sheet
Cooking Maine Foods from the Ground Up
(Provided by Maine Nutrition Network)