Download This Lesson: Grades 3-5 Wild Blueberries
Brief Description: Wild Blueberries for ME describes the history, growing and harvesting of this important Maine crop. After reading aloud to the class and discussing the content, students will be involved in English Language Arts and Visual Arts activities. Activities may be written or oral, determined by grade level and skills needed.
*The book is available online at www.TeachMEFoodandFarms.org/resources for your computer or smart board if you do not have it in your classroom.
The student will:
- Give 4 examples of ways Native Americans used wild blueberries,
- Describe the 2 year cycle for growing wild blueberries,
- Describe how the harvesting of wild blueberries has changed and the major obstacle to that change.
- Become familiar with wild blueberry vocabulary.
- Create a poster to promote blueberries as a healthy food.
Correlations to State of Maine Learning Results: Parameters for Essential Instruction
ELA = English Language Arts, HE/PE = Health Education and Physical Education, MA = Mathematics, SCI = Science, SS = Social Studies, VPA = Visual and Performing Arts
** Alignment possible only if lesson extension is done
ELA – Reading: RI.3.1, RI.3.4, RI.5.1
Speaking & Listening: SL.3.3
Writing: W.3.2, W.3.4, W.4.2, W.4.4, W.5.2, W.5.4
Language: L.3.2, L.3.4, L.4.2, L.4.4, L.5.2, L.5.4
Maine Learning Results
HEALTH EDUCATION – E2
VISUAL & PERFORMING ARTS – B3